Last week, I found myself in possession of a ginormous, juicy nectarine. I always thought I didn’t like them (because they were like an inferior version of peaches), but this one proved me wrong. I mean, they essentially taste the same, but peaches don the fuzzy skin. Other than that, they’re nearly twins!
So what would I do with the nectarine? Obviously, my first thought was to use it in oatmeal. I did some hardcore research and studied all sorts of flavor combinations. I saw a few sources listing nectarine/peaches and lime as a good combination, so I thought I’d try it out.
Now, I’ll be honest, I’m a much bigger proponent of peaches with cinnamon and other earthy flavors. However, I thought it was pretty tasty and surprisingly refreshing, and it’s clearly a combo that many people enjoy! Try it out and let me know what you think!
P.S. While you’re here, would you mind taking my survey? I’m trying to get a grasp on my audience and how I can best serve them. 🙂
EDIT: Poll closed! Thanks everyone!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 nectarine (or peach), diced
- juice of one lime (~2 tbsp)
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add diced nectarine!
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add lime juice and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.). I used shredded coconut!