The irony of this post is that I’m actually one of the least patriotic people you will ever meet. It’s not that I’m not happy to be in America; I just don’t care to celebrate it with some of the most annoying songs ever and the most obnoxious outfits of all time. Like seriously, calm down, Toby Keith.
(I should clarify that I by no means take my liberties for granted or do not respect those who protect our country; I just think that our flaunting of patriotism is what gets us so much flack from the rest of the world! Why do you think nobody likes Gretchen Weiners?)
However, I do like berries, and if eating berries means celebrating ‘Murica, I’ll be a little patriotic today. Here’s to living in a country that provides me easy access to my favorite foods with minimal effort! Thanks, Founding Fathers!
Happy birthday, ‘Murica. Oh, and I should also mention that–as of this week–I am a resident of Manhattan. SO. MUCH. PACKING. I liked Brooklyn, but the commute to work was terrible.
What you'll need:
- 2/3 cup coconut milk (or 1/2 cup coconut milk + 1/4 cup plain coconut yogurt)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp liquid sweetener of choice (optional)
- pinch of salt
- Strawberries or raspberries
How to make it:
- Combine all ingredients for the oatmeal in a mason jar.
- Cover with lid and shake, shake, shake until combined.
- Store in the refrigerator overnight (or for several hours).
- When ready to serve, put a spoonful at the bottom of a fancy glass or mason jar. Drop a few berries. Repeat, alternating layers of oatmeal and berries.
- Eat while listening to this and wearing your most obnoxious star-spangled overalls.
Just an FYI:
Adapted from this recipe