I adore mango, especially when I can find a way to temper the sweetness a bit. What calms sweetness better than a swirl of tahini?
If you haven’t noticed, I’m officially head over heels for the sesame seed spread. I use Amazon subscriptions, and I get a jar of tahini delivered to my door every month. Along with two jars of some PB&Co. flavor. And a box of cat litter. 😉 I love this program!
I mostly use tahini in my salads (it’s excellent mixed with balsamic or lemon juice), but I get so excited when I get to use it in oatmeal. For this recipe, you could mix it in with the oatmeal, or you could swirl it in at the end. OR, you can do what I did: a little of both. I mixed half of it in with the mango, and I swirled the rest of it at the end. I love having contrasts in flavor from bite to bite, so I like it when my oatmeal is not completely consistent. (Maybe that’s why I don’t love smoothies?)
Not a tahini fan? Honestly, you should probably skip this recipe because tahini is the star. But if you insist, try making this using the chocolate tahini recipe I posted earlier this year. If you use chocolate tahini, you may want to swirl it in at the end, mostly for aesthetic reasons. If you ARE a tahini fan, you will probably love this. It’s a bold hit of tahini with a subtle burst of mango in each bite.
- [eats] add garam masala to your avocado toast. I stumbled upon this accidentally when I grabbed the garam masala jar instead of the crushed red pepper jar. It was a delicious mistake, though!
- [vids] this sketch with Drake 💕 from this weekend’s Saturday Night Live (the whole episode is worth a watch)
What you'll need:
- 3/4 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup diced mango (I cut mine into 1" pieces)
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel-cut oats
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp tahini
How to make it:
- Add milk/water to a saucepan over medium heat and add mango.
- Once the liquid begins to simmer, mash half of the mango with a fork (optional).
- Add oats and stir. (If you’d like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now. I recommend flax.)
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add lime juice and a pinch of salt.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, stir in HALF of the tahini.
- Transfer to a bowl. Top with remainder of tahini and another splash of your milk of choice.