Think of this recipe as Tropical Oatmeal Part 2. I love, love, love mango, and it’s always a delight to pair it with other tropical fruits. For convenience, I always keep a bag of frozen pineapple and frozen mango in my freezer. I don’t like most frozen fruits, but those two hold up beautifully in the freezer. (Strawberries, not so much.)
This means that the only part of this recipe that I had to buy specifically for the recipe was the kiwi (or kiwifruit, if you’re Australian ^_^ ). Everything else was already stocked in my kitchen–yippee!
Hmm..what will be the last recipe of 2014? I’m thinking oatcakes…but you’ll have to come back on Wednesday to find out. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen diced mango
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen diced pineapple
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1 kiwi (or just half of one)
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you’d like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now. I recommend chia.)
- Add diced mango and pineapple immediately and stir.
- Once more of the liquid has dissolved, add vanilla extract (optional) and a pinch of salt.
- Dice the kiwi. Stir half of it into the oatmeal, and set the other half aside.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top with remaining diced kiwi and another splash of your milk of choice. Other toppings you could add are shredded coconut, coconut butter, white chocolate chips, or almonds.