Mangoes are one of my favorite fruits, yet you rarely see one in my kitchen. They’re so expensive! I used to buy frozen mango, but for some reason I stopped doing that… (I know what I’m adding to my grocery list this week!!)
My local produce market has reasonably priced produce, especially for New York. I noticed that their mangoes were one for a dollar, which is how much I pay for my oranges, too. Since I buy an orange for every day of the week, I could not justify NOT buying a mango at that price! ^_^
I wanted to try something different from my usual taste preferences, so I tried a cardamom-spiced porridge. Cardamom is a popular spice in Indian cooking, and so are mangoes, so I figured the two complement each other (that’s usually how my logic works when I’m making oatmeal recipes). I’m always surprised by how little cardamom it takes to notice it in a recipe. It was weird to make a cardamom-starring oatmeal and only use a pinch of cardamom, but that’s really all it takes. Any more than that, and it would be overwhelming.
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/4 a mango, diced
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of ground cardamom
- pinch of salt
- coconut flakes (or shredded coconut)
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add diced mango.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, coconut flakes, and any other additional toppings (more mango, a dash of cardamom, nuts, etc.).