It’s Christmas Eve! I debated about whether or not I should post a new recipe today, considering it’s a holiday, but then I thought back to all the days in the past couple of months when I skipped posting a new recipe. That bothered me, so I thought I’d make it up to you with a recipe today.
You might not be able to make it today or tomorrow, but maybe this weekend?
I love how simple this recipe is! Mango (as well as pineapple) work so beautifully in oatmeal because they pack such a flavor punch. The other fruits need extracts and spices to pump them up, but mango can hold its own. It also happens to be one of my favorite fruits!
And as you know, I’m always trying to find an excuse to eat peanut butter. I didn’t think peanut butter and mango would be spectacular together, but when I thought of chocolate peanut butter and mango, it seemed perfect.
And it was!
What you'll need:
- 3/4 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel-cut oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen diced mango
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1 serving chocolate PB2 or chocolate nut butter*
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you’d like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now. I recommend flax.)
- Add diced mango immediately and stir.
- Once more of the liquid has dissolved, add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top with peanut butter and another splash of your milk of choice. This is also excellent topped with peanuts and coconut!
Just an FYI:
*You can make your own chocolate nut butter by mixing 1/2 tsp cocoa powder into prepared PB2 or nut butter.