I love lychees (and more specifically, lycheetinis?), but I had never purchased one, cut into it, and eaten it fresh–until this month. I’m not sure why, but I found it incredibly intimidating.
Speaking of lychees, if you’re ever in Boston, go to the My Thai Vegan Cafe in Chinatown. It’s on the second floor (up a rather creepy staircase). Order the lychee bubble tea. You’ll thank me. ¡De nada! (It’s actually what inspired my Lychee Coconut Overnight Oatmeal.)
My first thought for lychees was obviously coconut, but I knew I wanted to try something a bit more experimental. I thought of raspberries, and the color combo that would make was difficult to resist. Imagine the tropical, juicy flavor of lychee combined with the vibrant color of raspberries! ¡Estupendo!
(Yes, I’m learning Spanish right now. What gave it away? Me hablas en español si tú puedes. Me gusta practicar! ? )
- [reads] this new article of mine via Thought Catalog analyzes what common catcalls actually mean
- [reads] similarly, the #NoWomanEver hashtag on Twitter is both funny and frustrating
What you'll need:
- 3/4 cup milk of choice* (coconut recommended)
- 5 lychees, halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oats*
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- In a food processor or blender, puree milk and lychees together.
- In a saucepan, bring milk-lychee mixture to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to a simmer. (If you’d like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add raspberries to the oatmeal right away and stir occasionally.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, and salt. Stir.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, and any other additional toppings (more raspberries, more lychees, other berries, shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).
Just an FYI:
*You can make this with rolled or quick oats by increasing the liquid to 1 cup and the oats to 1/2 cup. PB Lovers: I ate this with Earth Balance Peanut-Coconut Spread <3