My goodness. Ever since I made that Lemon Coconut Oatmeal over spring break, I just CAN’T. STOP. I came back to the Jerz, went to Whole Foods, and somewhat begrudgingly (I’m cheap) passed over the ~$5 for a bottle of lemon extract. But now I can have wonderfully lemony oatmeal ALL THE TIME!
You could obviously top this with coconut and make it Overnight Lemon Coconut Oatmeal, but as is, this recipe is just a straight-up celebration of lemon. Don’t skip the banana; I promise it’s necessary! The yogurt will make it creamy but is not essential to the recipe.
This oatmeal is excellent cold, but as always, I warmed mine up. 🙂
. . . and yes, I did just give you new recipes two days in a row. You’re welcome!
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 banana, mashed thoroughly
- juice of one lemon (~3 tbsp), or 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/4 cup nondairy yogurt (optional)
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar.
- Cover with lid and shake, shake, shake until combined.
- Store in the refrigerator overnight (or for several hours). Eat cold or warm up in the microwave! Topping ideas: lemon zest, candied lemon peel, shredded coconut, or dried pineapple (that's what you see in the picture! I also used raw chia seeds).