It has been a while since I put out a lemon recipe. Then I saw this recipe for Lemon Rosemary Shortbread cookies, and considering my recent love for rosemary, I knew this needed to happen.
Lemon pairs well with almost any herb. I’ve already paired it with thyme, but rosemary is my jam right now. This recipe uses the hidden banana trick, and it was adapted closely from my Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal, so if you’re (inexplicably) not into rosemary, you can always just make it sans herb.
On Monday, I showed you my Gingerbread Persimmon Oatmeal made using BetterOats instant multigrain hot cereal. As promised, today I am showing you what I made using their instant steel-cut oat packets! If you’re at all familiar with my recipes, you won’t be surprised that this one was my favorite. I’m a sucker for quick cooking steel-cut oats. The texture is so smooth and creamy! It beats the old-fashioned flakes by a mile, if you ask me.
I used the “classic” flavor (oats and flax), but FYI, they do have flavors available. They also offer full containers of a variety of oats. Containers are more cost-efficient, but like I said on Monday, I love slipping packets of oats in my suitcases when I travel. It makes a great back-up breakfast for those “just in case” situations (aka when your hotel doesn’t offer anything vegan at the continental breakfast).
- [vids] “An Epidemic of Beauty Sickness” – A TEDx Talk by Renee Engeln
- [reads] “Sorry, but Your Favorite Company Can’t Be Your Friend” by the NYTimes.
- [things] WHO REMEMBERS PLAYING BUBBLE TROUBLE?! 😜🎉
What you'll need:
- 3/4 cup milk of choice, or water
- I packet BetterOats "Classic" Instant Steel-Cut Oatmeal packet*
- 1 ripe banana (or 1/2 if you prefer)
- juice of one lemon (~3 tbsp), or 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/4 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Mash the banana thoroughly and stir into oatmeal.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add lemon juice/extract and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, stir in rosemary and half of blueberries.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, remaining blueberries, and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).
Just an FYI:
*Or 1/4 cup any quick-cook steel-cut oatmeal Adapted from my Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal.