For the most part, I have transitioned beautifully to urban life. I love public transportation, bustling sidewalks, diverse eateries, and city parks surrounded by cement and skyscrapers. The one thing that continues to challenge me is grocery shopping.
I do not own a car in New Jersey, so I either walk or take public transit. I have several different grocery options, but all of which are at least a mile away. This is not a terrible walk, but it can get uncomfortable when I’m lugging heavy grocery bags. Thus, items like melons, squash, and big cartons of almond milk can be a pain.
I treated myself last weekend to a big, beautiful honeydew. Carrying it royally sucked, but it was worth it once I cut into it, and blended it into this oatmeal. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1 cup diced honeydew (the riper, the better!)
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tsp honey or other sweetener
- 1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Blend first two ingredients together, preferably in a Magic Bullet-esque blender.
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar.
- Cover with lid and shake, shake, shake until combined.
- Store in the refrigerator overnight (or for several hours). Eat cold or warm up in the microwave! I topped mine with more honeydew chunks and shredded coconut.