Happy fifth day of Christmas! 🙂 Oddly enough, this recipe feels a little more summery than a typical December post, but the weather here has been unseasonably warm, so it seems fitting. I even wore a skirt yesterday! What’s the weather like in your area?
This oatmeal reminded me of a grapefruit mojito I had back in August. In all honesty, anything with fresh mint is delightful, and anything with grapefruit is magical, so the combination is perfect. This is actually a really simple recipe that you can throw together with less than five ingredients; however, I’d also recommend adding nondairy yogurt. That gives it the wonderfully creamy texture that most porridges offer.
What you'll need:
- 1/2 a grapefruit
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/3 cup water, or more milk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- one sprig fresh mint leaves
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Prep your grapefruit.
- Bring milk and water to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Spoon/cut out and add to the oatmeal.
- Mince the mint leaves and add to the oatmeal. Add salt and stir.
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now. I added a few spoonfuls of vanilla nondairy yogurt.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).