My sister and her husband hooked me up for Christmas. In addition to the fantastic vanilla bean paste they gave me, I also received four bags of nondairy white chocolate chips. Hooray! Time to make those white chocolate recipes I’ve been dreaming up.
The white chocolate chips add an unexpected sweetness that mellows out the intense gingerbread spices. To keep this porridge healthy, go easy on the chocolate chips. The banana makes the oatmeal sweet and healthy, and a small handful of white chocolate chips will just add a hint of pizzazz.
Of course, the exact amount of white chocolate chips you use is entirely up to you. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 tsp mild molasses
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- pinch of salt
- handful of white chocolate chips
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Mash banana thoroughly and stir into oatmeal.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add molasses, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, white chocolate chips, and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).