In case you’re too cool for refrigerator oatmeal…
…here’s the classic French Toast Oatmeal in stove-top form. I made this one for my roommate this weekend, and it literally took me about four minutes to throw together from start to finish. It’s perfect for converting those who have not yet seen the light. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- rounded 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- maple syrup
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, salt, and cinnamon. Stir. Add a little maple syrup (perhaps a teaspoon?) and stir.
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice, a dusting of cinnamon, a drizzle of maple syrup, and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, sliced fruit, raisins, nuts, etc.).