What kind of recipe-creator would I be if I didn’t take some risks? Chocolate and mango are not often paired together, but it has been done. For example, there’s chocolate-covered mango, this chocolate-mango loaf cake, this coconut mango cashew chocolate bark, or Oatgasm’s Chocolate Chili Mango Baked Oatmeal.
I was in the mood for peanut butter when I made this, so I found a way to include that as well. I actually made Happy Herbivore’s Nutty Spread, but instead of adding cinnamon, I added cocoa powder. I love Nutty Spread because it gives me less of a tummy ache than pure peanut butter, and it can be supped in for peanut butter in most situations.
This is a unique recipe for the adventurous ones. For a triple-chocolate experience, add chocolate chips!
Double-Chocolate Mango Oatmeal with Toasted Coconut
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen diced mango
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp chocolate nut butter
- toasted coconut
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add mango right away.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, a scoop (or swirl) of chocolate nut butter, toasted coconut, and any other additional toppings (nuts, chocolate chips, more mango, etc.).