This recipe is only for those who love bitter. Sweet tooths need not read on.
First, you take a bitter grapefruit. Then, you stir in some bitter dark cocoa powder. Then, you top it with some more bitter grapefruit. If you’re wrinkling your nose, then save yourself some time and just click here instead. If you’re salivating like I was, read on.
I love dark chocolate combined with orange, so why not grapefruit? If you like bitter (and I mean you really like bitter), then you should try this combination. If you kind of like bitter, you could always add a little sweetener to mellow it out. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1 small grapefruit, or half a large one
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/3 cup water, or more milk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate cocoa powder (I use Hershey's Special Dark)
- pinch of salt
- honey or other sweetener (optional)
How to make it:
- Prep your grapefruit.
- Bring milk and water to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Take ONE half of the grapefruit and spoon each segment into the saucepan. Stir until the segments break apart and mix into the oatmeal.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add cocoa powder and salt. Stir. (This is a good point to taste it and decide if you want to add sweetener or not.)
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Spoon out the remaining grapefruit segments from the other half to top the oatmeal (like the pictures). Serve with another splash of milk and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.). I added (semi-sweet) chocolate chips.