Hello from South Dakota! I was hoping to throw up tons of new recipes while I was home, but every morning I was just dying to make some of my favorites, like Banana Bread and Grapefruit and Chocolate Banana. I wasn’t in the mood to experiment!
But here’s a new one for you!
Take your favorite berry (or berries), blend them with some almond milk, and use that fruity puree to cook your oats! Num!
I think this would work really well as an overnight recipe, but I haven’t tried that yet and I don’t know what the measurements should be. Feel free to try it yourself until then, and let me know how it goes!
What you'll need:
- 1/4 cup water
- rounded 1/2 cup berries (fresh, or frozen and thawed)
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice, or 1/8 tsp lemon extract
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Put water and berries in a blender and puree.
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add berry puree, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and salt. Stir.
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, yogurt, sunflower seeds), do so now. Add sweetener if necessary.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (extra berries, shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).