I need to go back to all my chocolate baked oatmeals and redo them. I need to fix them knowing what I know now. I must improve them…ASAP…because I now know the secret to a banana-less, applesauce-less baked oatmeal.
It’s avocado. AVOCADO! Duh! Why didn’t I think of that earlier? Avocado is used all the time as a replacement for butter and eggs in vegan baking. Ugh! I could have saved myself from so many unnecessary banana flavors.
This trick worked like a charm for this recipe. I was too lazy to drag out my food processor, so I just mashed the heck out of this avocado and mixed it by hand with the other ingredients. Before adding the oats and cranberries, I tasted the chocolate-avocado mixture…and it’s like PUDDING. It reminded me of the dairy-free pudding I often make when I have avocado to use up…but without the banana!
This recipe was inspired by these Cranberry Brownies from A Family Feast. I loved the idea behind them–sweet mixed with tart–as well as the look of the little cranberries bursting within that dense brownie. I knew it would make a wonderful baked oatmeal!
What you'll need:
- 1/3 a ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 heaping tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/3 cup fresh cranberries
- handful of chocolate chips (optional)
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray a single-serving ramekin with non-stick spray.
- Mix together avocado, milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup, cocoa powder, and salt by either pureeing in a mini food processor or mashing thoroughly with a fork (lengthy process, but gets the job done).
- Stir in baking powder and oats. Once combined, stir in cranberries. You could also stir in chocolate chips! (I bet white chocolate chips would be great, too.)
- Transfer to the ramekin and bake for 22-25 minutes. The cranberries should start to pop and release their juices.
Just an FYI:
*Update: You can sub zucchini or yellow squash in for the avocado. Fill 1/2 a cup with diced zucchini and puree it.