It is no secret that I love nut butters, and you all seem to agree with me. (Did you know there are people on this very planet who claim they “don’t like” peanut butter? Is that some sort of medical syndrome? Is it genetic? Is it contagious? I don’t understand.)
I tend to stick to plain peanut butter and just flavor it myself using the spices and extracts in my pantry because it’s cheaper, but I always have major envy of the flavors I see my readers playing with. Thus, I asked all of YOU what your favorites are.
What are your fave kinds of nut butters, & w what oatmeal? e.g. I <3 PB & Co’s Cinnamon-Raisin on Apple PB&J Oatmeal https://t.co/J2qENV5lSA
— Lauren Smith Ⓥ (@lauren_015) January 13, 2016
Your responses had me drooling!
Like me, most of you stick to plain creamy or crunchy peanut and almond butter.
- @hisworkmanship.e210 [Instagram] Peanut Delight makes a natural peanut butter that is good with pears. Basically, peanut butter makes everything peanut better 🙂
- Christina [Facebook] For baked and stovetop oatmeal, my favorites are Smart Balance creamy peanut butter and Justin’s almond butter. I like to use natural nut butters with healthy fats, but do not like that layer of oil that occurs in most kinds. Smart Balance and Justin’s do not have that puddle of oil, plus you don’t need to store them in the refrigerator.
- @healthyhappyeats_ [Instagram] I love the natural peanut butter from Costco and I eat it mostly everyday with baked banana oatmeal!!
- Tiffany [Facebook] My local health food shop makes their own peanut butter – they literally grind it up for you then and there. It’s so fresh and delicious and has no oil, salt or sugar added. Heaven! My go-to oatmeal is Peanut Butter Banana Porridge with fresh berries.
>>Try my Nutty Nana Berry Oatmeal!
- Anna [Facebook] I love gingerbread&cinnamon oatmeal (+egg whites and sometimes chia seeds) topped with almond butter (Biona) and banana. Also raw cacao oatmeal with PB&banana is awesome!
- Marina [Facebook] I love Trader Joe’s Raw Almond Butter as a version of PB&J oats!!
- @thekalestorm [Instagram] I love MaraNatha creamy no-stir almond butter on everyyyyything, but especially on chocolate oatmeal. That’s probably my favorite nut butter tbh. Then a close second is Smucker’s natural, organic creamy peanut butter. I use that a lot in baking and on sandwiches.
- @greyvette0 [Instagram] I love Crazy Richard’s peanut butter!!! Made with just peanuts (no salt added) and an incredible consistency.
- @thecoolcatfamily [Instagram] I love almond butter! And I love to eat it with banana oatmeal
- Alex [Facebook] I love mocha oatmeal with almond butter, but lately I’ve been making chocolate lava cake baked oatmeal with peanut butter swirled in… oh man. I get hungry just thinking about it.
A few of you like unflavored varieties of other “speciality” nuts appearing on shelves.
- Heidi [Facebook] I love Sunbutter sunflower seed butter on anything oatmeal banana, chocolate, apple cinnamon. Of course I’d eat Sunbutter on French fries…lol Yes it’s that good!
- Chester [Facebook] cashew butter!! and i love thick rolled oats.
- Tiffany [Facebook] I also love Mayvers Coconut Super Spread, which is a blend of cashews, peanuts, Brazil nuts, almonds, coconut, chia seeds and sesame seeds. Again, no nasties and super yummy! I love this on my Coconut Persimmon Porridge.
>>Try my Coconut Persimmon Steel-Cut Oatmeal!
And then there are those of you dabbling in flavors by brands like Mayver’s, Wild Friends, Peanut Butter & Co., Justin’s, and Nuts ‘n More.
- Kelsey [Facebook] Two favorites: Wild Friends Maple Sunflower Seed Butter + Morning Glory Oatmeal, and PB & Co’s White Chocolate Wonderful + Sweet Potato Gingerbread Oatmeal.
- @molly_pen [Instagram] Barney Vanilla Bean & Espresso almond butter. On plain banana oatmeal or chocolate cherry oatmeal. PB&Co White Chocolate Wonderful is also very good on chocolate cherry oatmeal!
- @livehealthyandfree [Instagram] @wild_friends honey pretzel PB on EVERY kind of oatmeal!! I usually make a simple cinnamon vanilla banana oatmeal.
- @hisworkmanship.e210 [Instagram] Peanut Butter and Co’s Mighty Maple Peanut Butter is absolutely delicious with raisins and cinnamon in oatmeal.
- Marina [Facebook] PB & Co.’s Cinnamon Raisin flavor on Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Baked Oatmeal because YES!
- @rachelh_52 [Instagram] Peanut Butter and Co’s Dark Chocolate Dreams on banana oatmeal or strawberry oatmeal
- @malloryann_t [Instagram] I LOVE @justins vanilla almond butter and eat it on any oatmeal!
- @adancersliveit I would top it with Justin’s Maple Almond Butter ?
- @dana_cavaliere Peanut Butter and Company’s Mighty Maple Peanut butter ??
- @phoebevthomaspip and nut coconut almond butter ?
- @breakfastdramaqueen I’d love a chocolate nut butter! Either dark chocolate dreams or chocolate almond butter ? Or – dare I say it – Nutella (or a vegan version of Nutella)
- @run_kia_walters @justins maple almond butter ?
- @fortheloveof_pb I agree with @run_kia_walters that Justin’s maple almond butter would be really tasty! Or maybe @wild_friends vanilla espresso almond butter? Coffee and French toast go together, right?
- @fuelingwithfood Finished my @justins Vanilla Almond Butter today, so that with some warm blueberries is the best combo I can think of at the moment ? But I wouldn’t be able to deny some kinda of chocolate nut butter melted on top ??
- @breakfastdramaqueen Salted maple pecan butter sounds amazing! ? I also agree with vanilla espresso almond butter! I’d also love it with mighty maple peanut butter ? Or salted maple almond butter
- @chelssal Cashew
- @missmegs87 Wild Friends chocolate coconut peanut butter!
- @adancersliveit @peanutbutterco Dark chocolate dreams!!!
- @berries_n_greens Maple almond butter ?
- @missbuech I would do a mix of cashew butter and peanut butter.
- @fortheloveof_pb Cardamom cashew butter!
- @laorasmit TAHINIIIII!
- @thekalestorm Coconut butter!!
- Earth Balance Creamy Coconut & Peanut Spread >>Try it with Cardamom Vanilla Zucchini Oatmeal!
- Peanut Butter & Company’s Dark Chocolate Dreams >>Try it with Mango & Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal!
- Peanut Butter & Company’s Cinnamon Raisin Peanut Butter >>Try it with PB&J and Apple Oatmeal!
- Wild Friends Vanilla Espresso Almond Butter >>Try it with Peach & Almond Butter Oatmeal!
>>Try my Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Baked Oatmeal!
And then I sought out some of the prominent nut butter fanatics using the #oatmealartist hashtag and forced them to choose a favorite. 🙂
Salted Caramel + Cookie dough @myoatmeal blend customised with with chic and pb chips(? use my code: Kia15 for 15% OFF!!) ? topped with more banana, kiwi fruit and @nutsnmore salyed caramel #peanutbutter ?? #myoatmeal #nutnation #nutbutter #nutbutteraddict #nutsnmore A photo posted by Kia (National Runner + Health) (@run_kia_walters) on
Peanut Butter Surprise Baked Oatmeal! This oatmeal is on the blog now, and the post also includes a giveaway ? The winner of the giveaway will receive 2 jars of @peanutbutterco peanut butter + 1 package @bobsredmill Organic Old Fashioned Rolled Oats. More details are on the blog ? #Oatober #breakfastdramaqueen A photo posted by @breakfastdramaqueen on
Next, I showed Instagram users a variety of oatmeal recipes and asked which nut butter they would use to top it off. For Maple Sweet Potato Oatmeal:
For French Toast Oatmeal:
And a tougher one . . . Mango & Roasted Grape Oatmeal:
As for my recommendations?
For everyday use: Trader Joe’s Unsalted Peanut Butter (creamy OR crunchy–I like both), or the Whole Foods 365 brand (I’m pretty sure it’s made by the same company and the prices are similar)