Last Monday marked my first day of school at NYC. Thanks to my lovely 40-minute commute, this entails me waking up at 4:45 for the next ten months. Thankfully, I love my job. I feel like you have to love your job in order to drag yourself from underneath your electric blanket at 4:45 (yeah, I sleep with an electric blanket in August; don’t judge me!).
Luckily for me and my exhausted self, I’ve enjoyed some fantastic porridges every morning. Feeling particularly ambitious on Monday afternoon, I whipped up FOUR different oatmeal recipes. Yeah. Four. My roommates kept filtering in and out of the apartment, shooting me odd looks as I ran around the kitchen, pulling out seemingly unrelated ingredients and dirtying every bowl and spoon and fork in the cupboards.
This oatmeal originally began as two separate recipes: Coconut & Fig and Honey & Fig. As I considered these two recipes, I realized they were both lacking in that “special” factor. The Honey & Fig idea in particular lacked gusto. When I considered combining them, I became much more excited about the possibility. After all, I love the combination of coconut with honey and ginger!
In this recipe, I used Trader Joe’s coconut chips instead of shredded coconut. They were truly divine, but next time, I want to give them a nice toasting first!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 5 or more black figs
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- pinch of ground ginger OR nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- shredded coconut for topping
- honey for topping
How to make it:
- Set coconut milk in a saucepan over medium high heat.
- While you’re waiting for the milk to boil, take three of your figs, cut off top stem, and dice into small cubes.
- Once milk is boiling, add oats, the chopped figs, ginger, and salt. Reduce heat to medium. Stir occasionally.
- When you are pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add another splash of coconut milk, some shredded coconut (or coconut chips, like I used in the photographs), and a drizzle of honey.