I’m on a strict no-dairy diet this week. And maybe the next. And perhaps the next. I generally avoid dairy anyway, but it’s a little more of a struggle when I’m at home with my parents. Mid-last week, my teenage acne returned. My face looked absolutely dreadful! I’m going to point the finger at the return of dairy into my diet over the past two weeks.
Now that I’m back “home,” I’m eager to return to my dairy-free lifestyle. If I say so myself, this oatmeal is the PERFECT way to enjoy this diet. It’s the ultimate celebration of everything coconut. And wow, was it delicious! As I assembled it, I worried endlessly. Would it be sweet enough? Would the “Greek yogurt” give it an unpleasant taste?
There was absolutely no reason to worry; it was heavenly. If you like coconut, you’ll love this. I used coconut greek yogurt, but I’d really like to try this with coconut whipped cream sometime…
I used So Delicious Coconut Greek Yogurt. I’ve only bought it once before. It’s quite delicious (or shall I say so delicious?), but it’s really expensive. However, for this recipe, I decided to splurge. 🙂 I bought the “plain” flavor because it lets you taste the coconut.
What you'll need:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional, but recommended)
- 1/8 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup So Delicious Coconut Greek-style yogurt
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Bring coconut milk to a boil, add rolled oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add chia seeds, do so now.)
- Meanwhile, heat up a small skillet over medium heat. Once it's warm, add a handful or two of shredded coconut. Keep an eye on this; alternate between tossing/stirring the shredded coconut and stirring the oatmeal. Once the coconut turns a pretty golden color, take it off the heat. Congratulations; you just toasted coconut! 😉
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add a pinch of salt and stir. Then, stir in about 1/3 of the yogurt.
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add another splash of coconut milk, and then top with the remaining yogurt and toasted coconut.