Happy Wednesday, friends. I’m currently moving to a new apartment for the fourth year in a row–blegh! To keep the blog from being silent this week, I recruited some fantastic blog readers to share their own recipes with you. THANK YOU to everyone who volunteered to help out, and thank you to Katya for putting all of this together in ONE day. You rock!
Hellooooo there Oatmeal lovers!
My name is Katya, and I am honoured to contribute to Lauren’s fabulous oatmeal recipe haven.
Bit about me: I’m a recent high school grad from Canada that will “jump over the pond” so to speak, to go to university in London come the fall. Even though I’d love to study nutrition or if it were a course, veganism, I’m taking courses to attain a BA in international relations. A fun fact about me is that I lived in Iceland for 3 years, and I am fluent in Icelandic.
Now, you may have seen the combination of flavours in this oatmeal and thought “What the heck is she thinking?!?!” and I’m here to tell you that this recipe is one of those where you have to try it before you place judgment.
We’ve all accustomed ourselves to certain weird/strange combinations, for instance: pickles and peanut butter, French fries dipped in chocolate milkshakes, pickle brine and vodka (yes it’s true— its called a ‘pickle-tini’)* and even the strangest I’ve heard: banana and mayonnaise in a sandwich. . . So, using these as proof of bizarre combinations working, I’d like to introduce you to a new combo: Banana and (Coconut) Bacon!
*Lauren feels the need to interject here and say that pickle brine is better with WHISKEY. Do it right, people. Shot of whiskey + pickle juice chaser = pickleback, and it’s glorious.
It really shouldn’t work, as one is sweet—the other salty, however when both are mixed into wonderfully creamy oatmeal, they form a (excuse the cheesiness of this) melodic harmony of flavours.
Without further ado, here’s the recipe for coconut bacon n’ banana oatmeal!
What you'll need:
- ½ c. Rolled oats
- 1 c. Almond milk (or an alternative non-dairy milk)
- ½ a banana – slightly roasted for about 10 minutes at 350 F
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. coconut bacon recipe (see below)
- 1 c. Unsweetened coconut flakes (ideally, or in my case—shredded coconut)
- 1 tbsp. tamari/soy sauce
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 tsp. pancake/maple syrup
How to make it:
- Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, line a sheet pan with parchment
- Put coconut, tamari/soy sauce, liquid smoke and pancake syrup in a bowl, mix well until fully combined.
- Spread onto sheet pan, leave in the oven for 10-14 minutes, checking regularly for “doneness”
- Roast banana at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes in the oven.
- Put almond milk into a saucepan, when boiling, add oats and turn down the heat.
- Mash roasted banana and add to cooking oats. Add the salt, and 1 tbsp. coconut bacon.
- Mix well, and taste.
- Once oats have soaked up all of the milk, pour into a bowl, top with the remaining coconut bacon and enjoy!