When I came up with the idea for this Saturday’s “This Week in Oatmeal” theme (which is Black & White), I instinctively starting dreaming up my own ideas. Since I happened to be out of the obvious black and white toppings (Oreos, white chocolate chips, coconut butter), this recipe seemed like my best option.
It reminds me a lot of my Neapolitan Baked Oatmeal, but with less work and no strawberry. Sure, it’s not pure white or an obvious black, but I think it does the trick! I sprinkled in some black and white sesame seeds to enhance the theme. 🙂
I’d love to see some black and white porridges on Instagram this week! 🙂 Please upload yours with the hashtag #oatmealartist for a chance to be featured this Saturday.
- [reads] “A review of La La Land by someone who thinks he may have left the oven on”
What you'll need:
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup water or milk of choice
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp cocoa powder (try Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder)
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- Mash up a ripe banana and add to the oatmeal. Stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer HALF to a bowl.
- Stir cocoa powder into the remaining half in the saucepan.
- Combine the two halves by pouring each on opposite sides of the bowl. Then swirl them together using your spoon.
- Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).