A few weeks ago, I splurged on pistachios. It felt irresponsible at the time, but then I tasted one.
It’s not like I had never had a pistachio before. However, I think I’ve only ever had it in mixes of nuts, and the individual varieties kind of lose their distinct flavors.
It’s been difficult for me to save these pistachios for oatmeal only (I often crave just snacking on them), but this recipe received the prestigious honor.
The pistachios are combined with a mix of both strawberries and raspberries, but you could make it homogeneous with one type of berry and it would still be divine. If I’m being honest, the pistachio is the true star of this show. 🙂
Next up? I really need to try pistachio butter…but that sounds mad expensive (and dangerously addicting).
What you'll need:
- 3/4 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel-cut oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- handful of strawberries, raspberries, or a mixture of both
- handful of pistachios
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, stir in berries and pistachios.
- transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).