You know what’s delicious? Banana spice cake with cream cheese frosting.
I fell in love with that cake during my sophomore year of college. The dining hall would serve a variety of desserts every evening, and I loved when they offered this cake. My roommate/cousin (hi, Candice!) would always grab a slice when this was available.
Now that I like vegan cream cheese, I was so excited to finally make this oatmeal. I have to say, out of all my cream cheese oatmeals (I have many more, and they will be posted in the upcoming weeks!), this one is my favorite.
And honestly, if you don’t have the cream cheese, you can make this oatmeal without it and it’s still incredible. It’s a bit like banana bread, but I loved the intensity of the spices in this recipe. Omgggg.
I also added pecans when I ate this. Super good. 🙂
- [reads] “The ‘John Green Formula’ Of The Manic Pixie Dream Girl” by my friend Sidney
- [vids] Yeah, so . . . I love Justin Bieber’s new music video for “Sorry.”
- [eats] How good does this toast with tahini, honey, apple slices, salt, and rosemary look?!
What you'll need:
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- scant 1/8 tsp molasses
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of cloves
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tbsp cream cheese (I used Tofutti)
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a single-serving ramekin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mash banana. Add milk, vanilla extract, and molasses. Mix.
- Add in oats, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt; mix until combined.
- Stir in the baking powder (always add baking powder last!).
- Pour into the prepared ramekin. Drop in small clumps of the cream cheese on top. Then, bake for 18-22 minutes.