Banana Cream Pie is one of my favorite desserts…but only when it’s made correctly (aka homemade). I hate when people just whip up Jell-O banana pudding and stick it on top of a store-bought crust, and then squirt some canned whipped cream on top. It’s absolutely insulting!
I’ve wanted to create a banana cream pie oatmeal for a while now, but I wasn’t quite sure how to go about it. Would it just be a regular banana oatmeal with extra vanilla extract? Would I top it with something (banana soft serve? coconut whipped cream? soy yogurt?) to resemble the “cream?”
But then I got THIS idea. And it’s PERFECT. Banana Cream Pie should be cold, anyway, NOT hot! Plus, I like to think of overnight refrigerator oatmeal more like “oatmeal pudding,” and pudding is exactly what I wanted this oatmeal to resemble!
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 overripe banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain or vanilla yogurt, such as SoDelicious (optional)
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Add the first three ingredients to a mason jar.
- Mash up 2/3 of your banana and add to the jar. Slice the remaining 1/3 into the jar.
- Add vanilla extract, optional yogurt, and salt. Put the cover tightly on the jar and shake, shake, shake.
- Place in the fridge overnight. In the morning, you will have a delicious, dessert-like oatmeal ready and waiting for you!