Have you ever looked at the ingredients list for white chocolate?
Like most of my recipes, this particular one was sitting in my mind for a while. I didn’t want to actually buy white chocolate chips, though; it’s not an ingredient I would use a lot, and I knew my mom had a bag. Thus, my plan was to wait until I was visiting my parents to try this out. So that’s what I did.
However, I also looked at the ingredients list as I was making it. Umm…how can white chocolate legally call itself “chocolate?” It’s essentially sugar, milk, and other crap. Still, I was too emotionally invested in this recipe to turn back, so I continued. 🙂
The first time I made this, I didn’t include the banana. I’ll be honest: I hated it. 🙂 It was just…not great. The second time, I tried it with banana and much less berries (and mostly blueberries, my favorite berry), and I actually really liked it. I’m not sure if I’ll make it again (because of the white chocolate, which kind of grosses me out now), but it was definitely delicious enough to share!
Edit: Here is a much better brand of white chocolate chips, if you’re interested!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 ripe banana
- handful of frozen berries (I used blueberry and raspberry)
- pinch of salt
- handful of white chocolate chips
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- Mash up ripe banana and add to the oatmeal. Add frozen berries. Stir.
- Once more of the liquid has dissolved, add a pinch of salt and stir. If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit), do so now.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and a handful of white chocolate chips.