What’s the general consensus on almond extract? Sometimes, I truly love it. It’s dynamite in my Pear and Almond Baked Oatmeal and killer in Almond Joy Oatmeal. Other times, I can’t help but be a little peeved by it. I mean, it doesn’t actually taste like almonds, in my opinion.
Anyway, the perk of almond extract is that it steals the show, meaning it’s perfect for a “hidden banana” recipe. I make this overnight recipe whenever I’m in the mood for a creamy and fruity porridge, but I’m not in the mood for the taste of bananas. (Lately, I’ve filled this need with my Lemon Drop Oatmeal, but hey, it’s good to have options!)
How do you feel about almond extract? Yay or nay?
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- handful of dried berries (blueberries or cherries)
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar.
- Cover with lid and shake, shake, shake until combined.
- Store in the refrigerator overnight (or for several hours). Eat cold or warm up in the microwave! Top with sliced almonds or more berries.